Six Sigma certifications are one of the more highly sought certifications of professionals today due to its applicability to most any business or industry. Companies realize the value in applying the Six Sigma methodology to business practices, to save money, improve quality, increase efficiency or enhance performance. Probably the best word of advice is that certification alone does not summarize the value of a true quality professional.
The basic requirements for experience and/or education requirements prior to certification at the Black belt level include:
- Three years of work experience in one or more areas of the Six Sigma Body of Knowledge
- 2 completed Six Sigma projects documented by signed affidavits, and a four-hour, 150 multiple- choice question examination
- Some additional requirements such as whitepaper composition, simulation participation, or threaded conversation training.
Green Belts typically differ only requiring one project.
The expectations for a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt are that they demonstrate knowledge of Six Sigma tools and processes, are involved in quality improvement projects, and analyze and solve quality problems at an advanced level from the green belt by using more complex Six Sigma tools and on multiple projects.
Organizational usage of Black Belts varies but in general they manage projects approximately $1 million in value. There is generally one Six Sigma Black Belt for every 100 company employees, and a black belt can manage 3 to 30 Six Sigma Green Belts although a realistic span of control would dictate a level of 15.
Black belt expectations include activities such as:
- Being able to explain Six Sigma philosophies and principles and understanding how systems interrelate.
- Application of quality improvement methodologies which complement Six Sigma such as lean.
- Understand team dynamics through a high level of leadership and project management skills.
- Strategically plan small improvements such as Rapid Process Improvement Workshops (RPIW), 5S which is a cleaning and organizational tool, or Kaizen which is a focused short-term improvement event.
- Perform hypothesis testing and analysis.
- Perform statistical and process capability calculations.
- Facilitate control plans and sustainment opportunities.
- Understand tactical design principles for organizational application including robust design, Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) and Design for Excellence (DFX).
- Implement statistical process control (SPC)
- Potential job promotion
- Potential salary increase
- Professional display of competency and proficiency
An added benefit is that Six Sigma certification is transferrable between companies and organizations.
Are certifications are still half price through Mid January Black Belt is $148.50 and Green Belt is $94.50
We give you the tools you need to improve at your job, your business, or your life. Training comes with a certificate for framing with your new designation. Our instructors help you at every step and you'll have legitimate projects you can share with your current or prospective employers.