The Basic DMAIC activities at each level include:
- Define the core project activities which include the development of the project charter, scope, deliverables, process mapping, cost benefit analysis, return on investment, and stakeholder analysis.
- Measure core activities include a measurement systems analysis, industry best practice benchmarking, failure mode and effects analysis, and development of a Gauge R&R.
- Analyze core activities include analysis of data, determination of root causes, determining data correlations including the, mean, mode, median, variance, variation, and correlation as well as hypothesis testing and design of experiments.
- Improve core activities include determining 3-5 solutions, selecting the solutions to implement as a team, piloting the solutions, and deploying them within the company.
- Control core activities include developing the control plan, control charts, and educational information.
The first step in the DMAIC process is the Define Phase. In the Define phase we determine what is important to the customer and Critical to Quality CTQ in the core business process. We define who customers are, what their requirements are for products and services, and what their expectations are. We define the process to be improved by mapping the process flow.
The second step in the DMAIC process is the Measure Phase. In the measure phase we develop a data collection plan for the process and collect data from many sources to determine types of defects and metrics. We compare to customer survey results to determine shortcomings.
The third step in the DMAIC process is the Analyze Phase. In the analyze phase we use data collected and processes maps to determine root causes of defects and opportunities for improvement. The analyze phase will help identify sources of variation.
The fourth step in the DMAIC process is the Improve Phase. In the improvement phase you will design solutions to fix and prevent quality errors. You will list these improvements in an implementation plan.
The fifth step in the DMAIC process is the Control Phase. In the control phase you will set controls to keep the new process on track to improve quality and hinder regression.